8 Easy Ways You Can Improve Your Business Writing, Fast
Whether your business is well established or still in the startup stages, your business writing skills are crucial. You communicate more through writing at work than ever before, and it’s important that you get it right. If you feel that your skills could use brushing up, here’s 8 fast ways you can improve on your writing today.
1. Don’t worry about what you were told in the past
Everyone remembers being in English class, and having your writing criticized by the teacher. It still stings now, but it’s time to let go of that memory. Many people still hold onto the notion that they’re ‘bad’ at writing, but it’s not true. Like all things, all it takes is a bit of practice.
2. Consider the reader’s needs
When you’re writing, put the reader at the center of what you do. What do they need from you? What will they get from this communication? If you put the focus on them, it’s much easier to write communications that get things done.
3. Keep it short
“The people you’re writing to most likely don’t have a lot of time on their hands,” says business writing expert Peter Davies from Elite Assignment Help. “That means whatever you’ve got to say, you’ve got to keep it short. The best thing to do is put the most important point in the first sentence, so it grabs the reader.”
4. Ditch the jargon
If you’re writing to people within your company, then it’s inevitable that you’re going to use some jargon. However, keep an eye on what you’re writing, as it can make what you’re saying indecipherable. It’s always better to err on the side of caution and keep your language clear and simple.
5. Check your facts
No one is going to listen to what you have to say if you don’t make sure what you’re saying is correct. When you write double check the facts you use. This can be as minor as checking the recipient goes by ‘Mrs.’ rather than ‘Ms.’. If you take care of the details, then they’ll see that you’re worth listening to.
6. Use online tools
You should always take help if you need it, and online, it’s easier to find help than ever before. Here’s some tools you can use:
- Easy Word Counter: This tool checks the word count of your text, to keep it from getting too long.
- Essay Writer: Use this service to help you improve your grammar.
- State Of Writing: Look up the writing guides here if you need a hand.
- Write My Paper: This site gives you access to a great writing community, as well as writing guides.
- Cite It In: Use this tool to get the right citation for any source you use.
- Big Assignments: This service can help you proofread your writing when you need some help with it.
- Via Writing: This site is full of grammar guides, blogs, and other resources to improve your writing.
7. Get feedback
You can’t improve if you can’t see where you’re going wrong. Pick someone you trust, and have them check your writing. They’ll tell you what needs improving in your writing, which can help write much better communications in the future.
8. Proofread and edit
This is a step you can’t afford to skip. Always check you writing before you send it, even if it’s only a text or an email. One typo can change the entire meaning of a message.
These 8 tips will help you make changes to the way you write, and improve the way you communicate. Start using them and you’ll see just how much your writing improves.
Pipeliner CRM empowers salespeople to precisely communicate to prospects and clients. Download a free trial now.