Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search Buzz Video Recap: Google Algorithm Update, Broken Search Results, Google Buying Links, GDPR Issues & More
This week, we spotted another Google search algorithm update around September 11th. Google was unable to return search results foe a query for about 12 hours last night. Google also…
- Google Search Broke For 12 Hours On A Query
It is rare to see Google bug out, not work, when you try to use it. But yesterday starting around 3pm EDT through this morning at 3am EDT Google could not give you search results for the query [compare the market]. It is not clear why it was broken, but it was.
- Google Tests Color Drop Down In Shopping Panel For iPhone
It looks like Google is testing a new look for the drop down to select a color in the shopping panel. Tauqeer Aziz shared a screen shot of him bringing up an iPhone in the Google web search results and when you click on the drop down, it shows the colors and a photo of the phone in those colors.
- Google Ads Tests Headlines & URL Without Descriptions
Google seems to be testing an ad format on mobile search where they remove the description section from the ad. The ad copy is removed, the only thing you see are the headlines and URL. This was being tested on mobile in the bottom ad units.
- SEO Vet On The Negativity In The Search Community
Martin MacDonald, an SEO who has been in the community for 15 or so years, posted an excellent video that is worth watching. It discusses the negativity around our search industry and why we should just be nicer to each other.
- Google Hosts Balloons Bubbles Social Event
I saw a few pictures from the Google office in Mountain View around a social event that has a lot of balloons. It just looks like Google hosted a party, not the Google Dance because they didn’t do th
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Portuguese community – Today we just released a video introducing Auto ads! ‘Anúncios automáticos: Descubra o que é e sua importância’. Next we’ll show you how to implement Auto ads. The video is also available in English, Google AdSense on Twitter
- Apple’s New iPhones XS, XS Max and XR, WebmasterWorld
- Hello #SEO community, I’m putting together an article for Halloween, looking at some of the worst advice they’ve seen when inheriting accounts from other SEOs/consultants… Not intending this to be a witch-hunt and I won’t be nam, Dan Taylor on Twitter
- New Ownership: Joy Hawkins’ Company Sterling Sky, Inc. Has Acquired the Forum, Local Search Forum
- Participating in Shopping ads as a Comparison Shopping Service Watch this video to learn more about participating in Shopping ads as a Comparison Shopping Service ➡ https://t.co/MYZyc6FtPZ… https://t.co/y7GIq9aT6c, Google Ads on Twitter
- Take Care Our Southern Brothers and Sisters, WebmasterWorld
- Well, that’s conflating a lot of things, they’re not WP-related. Yes, WP does a lot of things really well out of the box (and it’s possible to break them with bad plugins/themes), but it’s not a website panacea. Don’t be religi, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Promotion Building
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice